Sunday, May 9, 2010

Flooding Nashville (My Hometown)

Unlike the Fargo, Valley City and Jamestown floods last year, there was no chance for the people around Nashville to prepare for the torrents of rain that came down in just two days. Imagine being caught sitting in heavy work traffic while flood waters are rushing by and covering your car! We in Carrington may have problems with snow and freezing weather at times, but we are lucky not to be living in a flood zone or in the midst of tornado country or on a shaky earthquake fault.

If you have time, take a look at the pictures of my hometown in the video below... It's hard to look at these pictures because I've been to all these places and can't imagine the extent of the damage, even though I'm looking at it with my own eyes! For some reason, the news on TV didn't hit me as hard as this little video did. My brother Bill who still lives in the country outside Nashville said they had over 17 inches of rain in 48 hours. The bank behind his house turned into mud and slid down into his back yard. His wife was afraid that their house was going to slide off the hill where my father built it over 50 years ago. Thank goodness the house itself was built on solid ground! Even so, many of their newly planted flowers and young trees were washed away, and for the last week they have been working to clean up the damage.

While I'm feeling disgruntled with the hills of snow outside my door next winter, I want to pause for a moment, count my blessings, and thank God for allowing me to shovel snow off my sidewalk instead of having to shovel mud out of my house!

No comments:

Post a Comment