Friday, December 17, 2010

Neighborhood Snow Walk



I woke up to see snow-covered trees outside my window this morning. I couldn't resist going outside to take pictures of our house in the new snow. For some reason or other, I just love the way our house looks covered in snow! It reminds me of an old-timey Christmas card... you know, like something from Currier and Ives. All our house needs is a frozen pond in front with people in colorful winter clothes merrily iceskating round and round and back and forth.

Actually, according to A History of Foster County which was published in 1983, there used to be a body of water called Willow Lake right in front of where my house stands on 1st Street today. There is even a picture of the lake on page 213 of this book - a book which was compiled by Lucile Zink and a dedicated committee of local historians.

Once I took way too many pictures of our house, I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood to see how our latest snow had treated the neighbors. It took me quite a while to slip and slide around the block, but I managed to get photos of most of the houses in our area. They all look so beautiful in the new snow!

Here are some of my favorite quotes and sayings about snow:

~ Whose woods these are I think I know. His house is in the village though; He will not see me stopping here. To watch his woods fill up with snow. ... ~ Robert Frost

~ The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found? ~ J. B. Priestley

~ Oh! the snow, the beautiful snow, Filling the sky and earth below, Over the housetops, over the street, Over the heads of the people you meet. Dancing, Flirting, Skimming along. ~ J.W.Watson

~ Announced by all the trumpets of the sky, Arrives the snow, and, driving o'er the fields, Seems nowhere to alight: the whited air Hides hills and woods, the river, and the heaven, And veils the farmhouse at the garden's end. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

~ A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water. ~ Carl Reiner

~ A snowball in the face is surely the perfect beginning to a lasting friendship.~ Markus Zusak

~ To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow. ~ William Faulkner

~ Then come the wild weather, come sleet or come snow, we will stand by each other, however it blow. ~ Simon Dach

~Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing. ~ Phillis Diller

No comments:

Post a Comment